What it is
Home birth is when you have a midwife attend your birth right at your own home. You're able to do whatever it is that makes you feel comfortable in the comforts of your own home. You can have people attend if you'd like or you can have the home to yourself. With a midwife there, you're able to have the right care for you and baby during the entire labor and delivery, as well as after care. This is something that appeals to a lot of women because they like the idea of being in a comfortable area to birth.
- Be able to be comfortable inside your own home
- Bring the baby in a peaceful, calm environment
- Be less scared about delivering your new baby
- Have one on one care from a midwife that comes right to your home for your appointments and delivery
- Be able to eat, stand, sit, walk and do just about anything that makes you feel comfortable while in labor
- Have many people there or only a few – it is your house
- Do not worry about someone coming and checking on you every ten minutes
- Do not worry about not being able to have the baby by your side once you deliver
As with anything else, there are risks but in order to minimize these risks, the midwife will ensure that everything is covered when it comes to delivering your baby. However, midwives will suggest you see an obstetrician if you have a high risk pregnancy or if anything might not go as planned due to any complications that might arise during the entire pregnancy. Midwives are trained to know what to watch for.
So now is the time to consider whether or not this might be something you're interested in. If it is, speak with a licensed and trained midwife in your area to speak about setting up a home birth around you. It can be well worth it to check out everything that they are offering and also have a little more one on one or to have extra questions answered by a professional.