today I have a lovely little recipe for you. Have you ever heard of spirulina? Spirulina belongs to the "superfood" family and is mainly popular amongst us vegans due to being high in vitamin B12 which you can normally get only through eating animal products, high in calcium, magnesium , iron and it contains over 65% of protein. Are you sold yet? I have to admit it is not my most favourite due to rather fishy smell and taste, but when you add it to these energy balls you will not taste it. Spirulina is really a great addition to your diet!
Let's get making!
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 cup dates ( soaked in hot water for minimum 15 minutes)
- 1 cup of mixed nuts ( any nuts you like)
- 2 tbsp raw cacao or cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp spirulina + 1 tbsp for rolling in
- 1 tsp coconut oil or coconut butter (no need to melt)
- Starting by soaking the dates first. In the meantime get your food processor out and chop all the nuts. You can leave some bits to add crunchy texture. Take nuts out of the food processor and process the dates until smoother texture. Put the nuts back in along with coconut butter, cacao and spirulina and mix well. Form a small balls, roll them in the remaining spirulina powder and let set in the fridge for 30 min. Truffles will store in the fridge for up to 5 days. Enjoy!